Monday, August 6, 2012

Kayla verses Wild Bunnies.......................

Yesterday I went out back to find Kayla pulling baby bunnies out of there nest. Well I caught her in time that she just had one out (not hurt) and it wormed its way back in the hole. Thank goodness. If you look at the photo you can see the babies little behind ends and the little ears on one. I am not sure but I think there are about 4 or 5 babies.

This morning I went out without Kayla to check on the babies and Mommy Rabbit had been there to feed and recover the nest. I thought that they were going to be alright and Kayla would not bother       them. Boy was I wrong big time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kayla found them and again started to pull them          out one by one. She did get one out and I had to fight Kayla for it. She did drop it and the poor little  thing was crying so loud that the neighbors could hear it. I have never heard a bunny cry like         that. I  scoped it up fast with my hand and made sure it was alright and to keep Kayla from getting it or the others which was no small task since I had to hold onto Kayla and hold the bunny in my hand.  I put Kayla back in the house and went back out with bunny in hand and put the little on back in the nest and made sure they were all there tucked back in. I recovered the hole as best as I could. They are all now safe and sound asleep in there little hole.                                                



I would like to give these little ones a chance to get a bit bigger so they can run from Kayla. So it is going to be a long few days if not a week that Kayla has to have her leash on and me standing guard while outside in the backyard.


Like my stories before there is never a dull minute with Kayla around. As she is a hound, that is two hounds in one (Basset/Beagle) yes that makes her a Bagle LOL!!!! Anyway she is doing what nature wants her to do............. I just need to redirect it for a bit. Ha Ha.

Oh, by the way Mommy Rabbit is close by Kayla scared her into my neighbors yard while she was walking under some flowers looking for another way around me to get to the nest. Kayla thinks she is going to outsmart her Mom, I don't think so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Until next time,

Puppy Kisses and Bear hugs,

Sheryl

P.S. Momma loves you Shadow!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Kays Kids said...

Oh dear, those poor little bunnies must have been frightened. Kayla would have been chomping on the bit to go and hunt. I think you need to give her longer than a week. Little bunnies don't have much sense of direction for awhile.
Have a lovely week with no more hassles.
Hugs